The C.P.R. was Saskatoon's third rail line. The company built a spacious downtown depot, with the train yards, shops and roundhouse located in Sutherland. Saskatoon also gained another bridge with the construction of the C.P.R. line.
The station opened on June 15, 1908. In the early years it saw the influx of immigrants from Eastern Canada and Europe, some settling in the Saskatoon area, others going on to North-Central Saskatchewan. The depot served Saskatoon with telegraph service, daily mail, parcels and newspapers.
Canadian Pacific discontinued passenger service in 1960. The station then served as an administrative center for C.P.R. until its sale in 1993. The station survived the sixties when many other stations across the country were removed. Efforts toward preservation of the C.P.R. station began in 1972, when it was first threatened with demolition. In 1977 it was recognized with a commemorative plaque. The C.P.R. Rail Station was nationally designated as a heritage railway station in 1989.
The new owner, Ken Achs, reopened the station in 1994 after extensive restoration and renovation to the building. The facade of the building, of yellow brick and Tyndall stone, has been beautifully restored. The distinctive bellcast roof has new cedar shakes. One feature that can only be seen from the North (while driving by) is the polygon tower which overlooks the tracks that used to be occupied by the railway superintendent.
The C.P.R. Station is now occupied by an Expresso Bar, Tourism Saskatoon, a chartered accountant's office and Jamieson Street Restaurant, named after the street opposite, which was named after J.L.Jamieson, a C.P.R. superintendent.
Excerpted from GARGOYLE, volume 19 number 1 Sue Barrett